One of the first things that any person lays eyes upon when he or she visits your home is your driveway. Unfortunately, many old driveways look less than great. They can have giant cracks, potholes, and staining. It’s a sight that can turn potential buyers off if you’re trying to sell. It can also pose a health hazard if someone trips over a crack.
Why Does a Driveway Become Damaged?
Typically, driveways become damaged over time due to the following factors:
- Large tree roots that grow underneath, lift up, and crack the substrate
- Staining from oil, coolant, and organic debris in the environment
- Cracks from having to support heavy vehicles over a number of years
All of this natural wear and tear creates an ugly-looking driveway. The good news is that local companies around Melbourne can install a brand-new driveway affordably. These modern driveways are strong and durable and will look great.
What Kind of a Driveway Do You Want?
Whether you’re looking for exposed aggregate concrete in Melbourne, coloured concrete, or just plain old concrete, there are plenty of options. Here are two types of driveways and their features and benefits:
- Coloured Concrete: If you want something more attractive than just plain old boring concrete, coloured concrete is the way to go. The good thing about it is that it’s not just painted concrete. It is a mixture of concrete and chemical pigments. Because the colour is actually an integral part of the concrete, it won’t wear off even under the harshest conditions. This means that it will look almost new even after being down for many years. It’s also a fantastic way to catch the eye of passers-by and potential buyers.
- Exposed Aggregate: We normally think of concrete as having a nice smooth surface, but what about a surface that resembles small piece of gravel? When the stony aggregate in the concrete is exposed to the surface, this is exposed aggregate concrete. It looks great, is durable, and even provides extra surface traction.
Not Just for Driveways
One of the great things about modern concrete is that it can be used all around the home too. Here are some ideas for where coloured concrete and exposed aggregate concrete can be easily used to enhance the way a home looks:
- Entertainment Area: If you have an outdoor entertainment area that needs some work, some areas of coloured concrete can really make a difference. It can redefine areas and provide a strong, stable surface for cooking BBQs and for tables and seating.
- Garden: If your garden is looking unkempt and messy, maybe it’s time to reorganise it. Imagine having an exposed aggregate pathway laid down that connects one part of your garden to another. How about some coloured concrete under the shade area or around the washing line?
Concrete is a highly versatile material that is used across the world. At any given moment, there is concrete being used in building construction somewhere in the world!